The new Armor Update is now in the experimental branch, we will leave it there for a while in order to gather feedback and fix any possible issues.
In this update we are focusing on some of the main requests by the community: Armor and Combat.
To get this version, right click on “Dawn of Man” in the Steam Library, select “Properties” and in the “betas” tab select experimental branch
Your people can now make armor, they will automatically equip it when you sound the alarm. Note that raiders will also wear armor, from the Bronze Age onward.
Armor is made in the new Armorer structure, we’ve also moved shield production there (which was previously in the Workshop).
It comes in two variants, Leather Armor, available from the Bronze Age, and Mail Armor, available from the Iron Age.
GATE RALLY POINTS
You can now choose the position where your people gather when you trigger the alert.
GATES IN 8 DIRECTIONS
You can now place gates in 8 directions, allowing for much more organic looking towns.
WALLS IN SHALLOW WATER
Walls can now be built in shallow water (and steeper slopes), this makes it possible to use lakes and rivers as defensive barriers. Raiders might end up swimming through them to attack you, but this would still allow you to shoot at them from a distance for a long time.
NEW RESOURCE: LEATHER ARMOR
Made from leather, offers reasonable protection, available from the Bronze Age.
NEW RESOURCE: MAIL ARMOR
Made from iron rings, offers very good protection, available in the Iron Age.
NEW STRUCTURE: ARMORER
Structure that produces Leather and Mail Armor, we’ve also moved the shield manufacturing here, which was in the Workshop previously.
New techs Armor, Mail and Reinforced Shields, required for Leather Armor, Mail Armor and Oval Shields.
– It is now possible to edit the position at which people gather behind the gates when the alert is on.
– Gates can now be build in 8 directions allowing for more organic wall designs.
– You can now build walls, watchtowers and platforms in shallow water, and in steeper slopes.
– In the Bronze and Iron Ages, raiders don’t immediately acquire all techs in the era, but they do it progressively with each attack wave.
– There is now an option in the defense panel to customize the amount of men and women that will use melee weapons in combat.
– People will now upgrade their weapons from slings to bows if available.
– Weapons that raiders drop when dead now have random condition instead of 100%
– Added some old raiders, and slightly increased the proportion of males that come to attack.
– Clothing now decays when absorbing combat damage, the damage that is saved is instead taken by the clothing.
– Stamina decay rate is now cut in half when the alert is on. This affects all humans, including raiders.
– Slings can now be sold for their full value up to the Neolithic only (down from the Copper Age).
– Making sure that people don’t run to another gate after all raiders are dead.
– Animals that have been butchered, even only partially, now decay a lot faster.
– Most defensive structures, like walls, gates and towers are now a bit more resistant.
NEW ADULT PERCENTAGE RESOURCE LIMITS
– It is now possible to set a resource limit to a percentage of the adults in the settlement.
– This is now the default for tools, shields and armor, as children can not use them.
– Improved tooltips for all resource limits, to make everything more clear.
– Added 20% and 33% resource limits
IMPROVED HUNTING RESOURCE LIMITS
– Butchering tasks for hunted or slaughtered animals will now only get auto-generated if any of Meat, Bone or Raw Skins are under the limits.
– In auto generated butchering tasks (after hunting or slaughtering), people will not extract resources that are over the limits.
– Meat limit is now set to 100 by default (it was 30 before).
– Raw Skins limit is now set to 40 by default (it was 10 before).
– Bones limit is now set to 20 by default (it was 10 before).
– These changes do not affect manual butcher tasks (created by right clicking or using the context actions), these always extract all resources from the animal.
IMPROVED COMBAT BEHAVIOUR
When a person is given a direct command to move somewhere (by right clicking on the ground), they will stay there and:
– They won’t go to their usual combat positions. This is useful when the enemies are attacking if you want to station a bunch of people somewhere instead of in the default positions.
– They won’t wander around town.
– For a while, they won’t go and get any weapons or armor.
– For a while, they won’t go to rest.
– For a while, they won’t get assigned any tasks.
– For a while, they won’t go store any resources.
The idea behind these changes is that you get more control over what people do, but eventually they will do what they need to do to survive.
– Humans will retry with higher accuracy if they can’t find a suitable path to the destination.
– Beings prefer to walk on even terrain.
– Beings try harder to cross by a nearby ford instead of swimming.
– New loading screen for the Ancient Warriors scenario.
– Ancient Warriors tech cost has now been slightly reduced.
– Slightly increased population limit.
– Domestic Animals will now prefer to wander around stables.
– People now prefer to wear outfits that are in better condition.
– Workload calculations now count kids as half an adult.
– You can now select a loaded person and right click on a storage structure to tell them to unload there.
– Added Elasmotherium, Hyena, long haired woman and old man to intro screen.
– Carts, Sledges and Plows can now be built by two people simultaneously.