Well Tenno, it’s here… and we can’t thank you enough.
Who would have thought that we’d be launching our third cinematic quest. With the ambitious goal of telling Warframe’s story in a way we had never done before, The Second Dream started it all. The moments you shared with us while playing through the quest is a memory all of us at Digital Extremes will never forget. So we thought… wow, we did it… Can we do it again? And so it was, we burned heaps of midnight oil to launch The War Within and experience the roller coaster of feels with you all over again.
Witnessing your reaction to THE SACRIFICE teaser we showed at TennoCon last year is an emotion we can’t quite put into words. We’re pretty sure you guys shook the convention center and the internet. So we’re absolutely ecstatic that you can now continue your journey as Tenno in the Warframe universe in this new quest.
From all of us at Digital Extremes, thank you for sharing Warframe with us. This once small but growing studio in London, Ontario couldn’t have done any of this without your extraordinary support, Tenno.
We hope that you have enjoyed the ride so far. We look forward to seeing what Warframe has in store for all of us as we look toward the future.
THE SACRIFICE QUEST
The Apostasy Prologue left a memento from the Lotus lingering in the Orbiter, calling back to the moment Ballas extended his hand to her. As they faded beyond grasp, nothing but fragmented transmissions from her remained.
Now, a foreboding vision leads the Tenno to hunt for a savage Warframe. Will you unmask the truth in this mind-bending new chapter of the cinematic storyline? THE SACRIFICE will bring you closer to uncovering what has fallen into shadow.
THE SACRIFICE Quest is available after completing The Second Dream, The War Within, Chains of Harrow and the Apostasy Prologue, and will be available in your Codex upon login. Bring your best Warframe and Operator loadouts to face the challenges that await you in THE SACRIFICE .
Eclipse the darkness of Umbra with this Armor Set for any Warframe.
Umbra Companion Armor
Embody the height of companion Fashion Frame with new Umbra-themed Kubrow and Kavat Armor Sets.
Outfit your Operators with these golden-age Customizations.
Umbra In Action Glyph
He’s mad but he’s also cute in chibi form.
The Sacrifice Collection
Cast a long shadow with these Umbra and Dax items [beware of spoilers!]
Worn in battle and ceremony at late-Orokin Dax, this Syandana was seen as a symbol of power to all in the empire.
And more to be discovered upon completing THE SACRIFICE quest!
NEW UI THEMES AND UI CHANGES!
Currently, we have exactly 131 screens in Warframe that need an artistic pass to the new style. 8 are done and ready to go – they’re here today! Themes similar to above are coming for the screens we have completed, and all subsequent screens will inherit whatever UI theme you’ve chosen (default or other purchased themes).
To change your UI theme, go to your Interface Options and select “UI Customization”.
There you can also change your Background from the 3 available options:
- Equinox Background
- Legacy Background
- Vitruvian Background
You can also change the UI sounds from the “Legacy” and “Vitruvian” options.
MODDABLE ‘EXALTED’ WEAPONS
Warframes with unique Ability-driven (Exalted) Weapons can now be separately Modded in your Arsenal! This includes the ability to customize their appearance too!
If you own any of the following Warframes, their “Exalted” Weapon have been added to your Arsenal:
- Excalibur/Prime’s Exalted Blade
- We gave the Blade a partial physical design (hilt) so that you can customize its appearance (Energy color is still determined by Excalibur’s)!
- Ivara’s Artemis Bow
- Mesa’s Regulators
- If you own or purchase the Mesa Presidio Skin, you will automatically receive the Presidio Regulators skin to equip onto Mesa’s Regulators.
- Titania’s Dex Pixia + Diwata
- Valkyr/Prime’s Talons
- No customizing since her Talons’ design is all Energy-based!
- Wukong’s Iron Staff
Exalted Weapons work in the following ways:
- They appear in your Arsenal as an unranked moddable Weapon option once you’ve unlocked the Ability.
- All Exalted weapons use the Mod classes expected for the class of weapon.
- Melee Exalted Weapons have their Stance Mod permanently displayed in the modding UI with access to Combos!
- Titania’s Dex Pixia now uses Secondary Mods! More on that in the Titania Exalted Weapons Dev Workshop we posted at the beginning of this week.
- While Exalted Weapons can be ranked, they do not count towards Mastery Rank (with the exception of Khora’s Venari).
- Riven Mods are not generated for Exalted Weapons.
LIMBO STASIS CHANGES
Limbo’s Stasis has been changed to make it more cooperative! Now, Stasis only stops time for Enemies. Limbo’s Gear and all Ally Gear will continue to function. But, because complete time-halting for enemies within the Rift is akin to godly power, the duration of the ability has been shortened overall – from base 30 seconds to 15 seconds. This is of course affected by Mods.
PC CONTROLLER CHANGES
The launch of virtual cursor controls on consoles brought many hotfixes to those platforms with much needed changes and improvements. Our first Dev Workshop looked at bringing D-Pad Functionality, while our second, a follow-up Action Plan, looked at what we planned on improving across platforms. Combined, the following changes are now live for our PC controller players:
- D-Pad support is here!
- Restored button shortcuts in the Arsenal.
- Changed Relic selection windows to preview content on hover. To choose a Relic, simply select it.
- Added the ability to auto-rotate your Warframe in the Arsenal (using the Right Trigger) while browsing item grid.
- Changed “preview” and “select” to be independent of one another in the Arsenal item selection (separate bindings displayed in bottom right of screen in Arsenal).
- Removed the need to hold down and drag in order to select a Mod in the Modding UI. Instead, selecting a Mod will make it stick to your cursor like it used to, allowing you to move it with cursor control or D-Pad. Additionally, hitting “back” will deselect the Mod from your cursor without exiting the screen.
- Increased the size of Star Chart node hitzones when using a controller.
- Fixed category switch with controller LB/RB on some screens when hovering over a category button.
- Fixed not being able to fish with Classic Controls.
- Fixed LB prompt in Ability Menu appearing permanently after opening fishing gear wheel.
- Fixed the cursor on controller moving to an arbitrary spot in the Inventory Sort Options drop down.
- Fixed cursor automatically snapping to a button on the right side of the screen if a menu is open.
- Fixed being unable to rotate your Operator while customizing with the Right Stick when your cursor is hovering over the item menu.
- Fixed being unable to rotate your Operator at all after fast traveling to the Transference room from “Operator” in the pause menu.
- Fixed the “X” callout button missing from the Lunaro Practice Mode, which made it appear that the Practice Mode could not be activated.
- Fixed button to send Amp Slots as a gift not actually sending the gift when using a controller.
- Fixed controller RB and LB loss of functionality after accessing Navigation, opening matchmaking and then pressing B to back out.
- Fixed pause menu button on controller causing a brief UI transition to mouse mode.
- Onkko has acquired new offerings! Trade Quills Standing for Landing Craft Decorations like Glowing Sentient Cores, Eidolon Relics, and more! Plus, acquire the Onkko’s Cave Scene for your Captura desires.
- Old Man Sumbaat also has new offerings for the Tenno! Visit him in Cetus to trade Ostron Standing for everything from decorative fruit baskets, to baskets of spices, to… boots? Now your Orbiter can look (and smell) a little more like Cetus!
- Ask and ye shall receive! That closet full of Cetus Boots can now be crafted into a Boot Trophy from Fisher Hai Luk’s Offerings. We hope they haven’t been festering any fungal growth in the meantime….
- Added some sparkle to Octavia and Saryn’s Abilities with the new GPU Particle system.
- Added a new Challenge for completing THE SACRIFICE quest!
- Added a description to Captura Scenes that you own: “Explore this scene with access to advanced camera controls and visual settings”.
- Increased Excalibur Prime’s Armor from 250 to 300.
- Teralyst, Gantulyst, and Hydrolyst no longer have regenerated Shields immediately after teleporting from being stuck.
- Increased Titania’s Diwata damage to 200, Critical Chance to 20% and Critical Multiplier to 2x.
- Slightly lowered the Battalyst and Conculyst’s base health from 1300 to 1150.
- Slightly reduced the Battalyst’s projectile damage.
- You can now include “&” in your Zaw weapon Entitling.
- General audio polish for Sanctuary Onslaught.
- Following what we started in our previous mainline, we’ve made thousands more micro-optimizations to hundreds of scripts, including Warframe Powers, Precepts, Enemy Logic, Weapon Behaviors, Game-Modes, and the UI.
- Ancient and Scorpion grappling hooks no longer go through Gara’s Mass Vitrify wall.
- Moved UI Cursor Sensitivity setting from “Controls” to “Interface”.
- Moved Cetus Wisp and Maprico Tree spawn points a bit further away from water volumes in the NW corner of the Plains for gathering ease.
- After the target is captured in Capture missions, the level alert levels will automatically turn off after 1 minute, and enemy spawns will stop after 2 minutes.
- Updated the LOC for Banshee’s Sound Quake Augment to “Forgoes channeling to create a shockwave that deals 20x damage at the epicenter, gradually weakening as it expands out”.
- Stunning or knocking down Conculysts during their whirlwind ability and Battalysts during their omnidirectional laser ability now cancels the ability.
- Removed Steam controller icons from the list of selectable sets and swapped them with the Xbox One icons.
- Removed the “Max Enemy Count Reached” message from Simulacrum enemy selector when first opening it and selecting enemies. It will now only appear when you attempt to spawn enemies and there isn’t enough space. It will also no longer clear your previous selection when it happens to be over the limit when you first open it.
- Punch Through Mods no longer affect the Zenith’s Alternate Fire deployable disc.
- GPU particles are now part of melee slam sparks by default.
- Increased the size of Focus Lens icons to be more on par with the size of Forma, Mastery, and other icons.
- Optimized the Survival HUD slightly. This also fixes problems caused by playing with VSync disabled and joining a mission in progress with a poor network connection.
- Updated “Show Friend Invite Notifications” in your Gameplay options to “Show Friend Request Notifications” and “Receive Friend Invites From” to “Receive Friend Requests From”.
- Improved Decoration Placement camera collision.
- Updated some of the structures in the Corpus Gas City tileset.
- Operator Hoods will appear open and Masks removed when they are involved in a cut scene.
- Fixed a crash when trying to view the profile of someone who has Khora equipped.
- Fixed kill scan mechanic (Synoid Heliocor, Astral Autopsy Mod) not functioning.
- Fixed Mirage’s Hall of Mirror clones applying Melee Stealth bonus 100% of the time.
- Fixed being perpetually stuck in Zephyr’s Dive Bomb animation when jumping through a Conduit in the same animation.
- Fixed very high bloom lighting in areas of the Lua tilesets and Grineer Settlement tilesets.
- Fixed the mini map overlapping the Trade item selection screen in Maroo’s Bazaar.
- Fixed some waterfalls in the Plains not appearing in the correct orientation.
- Fixed puddles in the Grineer Shipyard tileset having a hard edge on their local reflections.
- Fixed Inaros’ Desiccation GPU particles not applying chosen Energy color
- Fixed bad lighting with the giant eye sculpture in The War Within.
- Fixed cloth clipping in Trinity’s diorama.
- Fixed popping lens flare in Titania’s diorama.
- Fixed the Quartakk firing sounds getting cut off.
- Fixed Chroma’s Spectral Scream not using Energy colors.
- Fixed AI getting stuck on geometry in sections of the Corpus Ship tileset.
- Fixed Syndicate Medallion FX not matching Syndicate colors.
- Fixed unintended difficulty when attempting to place Landing Craft Decorations as the Operator.
- Fixed Shotgun Scrambus projectiles not being deflected by Zephyr’s Turbulence.
- Fixed the Zenith appearing to have 3 Alt-Firing modes in the Arsenal.
- Fixed some wonky clipping and holding poses on Warframe Articula when equipped with a Bow.
- Fixed flickering floor panels in Corpus Ship tileset.
- Fixed selected Warframe Ability resetting to #1 on controllers after loading into a mission or Reviving.
- Fixed fog FX from the Helminth Infirmary creeping more into the hallway than intended.
- Fixed a couple Obstacle Course strings having [PH] tags.
- Fixed issue where players could see outside of the orbiter if they looked through a small gap between the personal quarters ship doors.
- Fixed issue where the player would appear as an enemy if they flew a Dargyn that had been marked as a way-point. The marker will now update to reflect when a marked enemy or ally changes allegiance.
- Fixed the Volnus preview model rotating in the wrong direction when building in the foundry.
- Fixed issue where mouse UI would not transition to controller UI when the player was holding a decoration.
- Fixed gameplay stats not saving for ancient and ossified accounts.
- Fixed timed run score in Dojo Obstacle Courses being given to the hosting player instead of the client that ran it.
- Fixed a longstanding issue where you could spawn in the Dojo inside a deco and be stuck (often could jump out but not always).
- Fixed Kubrows investigating the same ragdolled enemy.
- Fixed colors not blending correctly into Equinox’s Night form design.
- Fixed AI getting stuck in ice walls in the Stofler node on Lua.
- Fixed being unable to back out of the Clan Permissions screen when using a controller.
- Fixed Hydroid’s Tentacle Swarm’s tentacles sometimes appearing underneath the tile.
- Fixed a script error when using the Gear menu in the Arsenal.
- Fixed issue where opening Warframe customization in the Arsenal caused a script error.
- Fixed a script error if intended recipient of a gift has no Friends, and also has their gift mode setting set to “Friends Only”.
- Fixed script errors when casting numerous Warframe Abilities.
- Fixed Clients sometimes instantly losing functionality and getting kicked from the squad after completing the first stage and transitioning to Archwing in the Jordas Golem Assassination mission on Eris.
- Fixed being unable to purchase multiple Sands of Inaros Quest Blueprints from Baro.
- Fixed a random Excalibur appearing unannounced (like really, no one invited him) at Onkko’s shop when attempting to assemble an Amp and at Hok’s Anvil when assembling a Zaw.
- Fixed blank Gear Wheel when returning from a Bounty in the Plains of Eidolon as a Client.
- Fixed the camera jittering wildly if you bullet jumped before you finished crouching in an area that was too small for you to be able to stand upright.
- Fixed Friend Invite notifications appearing regardless of whether the associated option is toggled on or off.
- Fixed Specters having trouble aiming at enemies who are not standing upright when using Equinox’s Metamorphosis Duality Augment.
- Fixed Nezha’s Warding Halo damaging ragdolled enemies impaled by Divine Spears at a much higher hit per interval than intended.
- Fixed a map hole in the roof of an elevator in the Corpus Ice Planet tileset.
- Fixed Khora’s Venari disarming Vor after attacking him.
- Fixed Atomos missing its beam chain FX.
- Fixed Sugatras and other weapon attachments not simulating their cloth correctly if the weapon itself wasn’t moving. This was most apparent on the login screen.
- Fixed there being no option to purchase Amp Slots in the Inventory screen under the Amp tab.
- Fixed an audio hang after mission debrief.
- The Silver Grove Quest fixes:
- Fixed missing bonfire decorations.
- Fixed missing objective text and transmission hints while searching for the Shrine in the first mission.
- Disabled Focus pickups in the Quest.