12/15/2020 “10.25b” Balance Changes and Bugfixes
As promised, we’re doing one last round of balance changes to ensure the game is in a good state before the winter break. Again, happy holidays and we’ll see you back in January!
Akali was a big winner in preseason in that her win rate climbed considerably from awful to okay for most players. We’ve been hoping that we wouldn’t need to nerf her until pro play started, but unfortunately, she’s breaking ban rate limits in Elite play. Decreasing her prolonged combat damage as a result.
While relatively balanced, Sunfire Aegis continues to dominate tank Mythic choices. We’re giving the other items more of a chance to be explored.
12/11/2020 Nexus Blitz Balance Changes
12/8/2020 ARAM Balance Changes
Base mana growth decreased. E base damage decreased later. R stun duration decreased early and now scales.
Amumu’s win rate was exceeding acceptable bands, to the point where we had to micropatch him in on 10.24. We’re reiterating the changes here in case you missed it: With the synergy between his passive, Despair’s uptime, Tantrum’s resist scaling, Sunfire Aegis’ unique and resistances, Demonic Embrace’s burn, and Abyssal Mask’s damage amplification on his R, Mummy seems to be the clear winner of preseason. Add in his buff in 10.23 when we made his ult a stun and he’s been sweeping the competition off their feet. This should knock him down a peg.
E – Tantrum
R – Curse of the Sad Mummy
Basic attack animation sped up. Q cooldown, missile speed, and detonation damage increased; passthrough damage and cost decreased; now Chills enemies it passes through. E cost flattened and damage increased. R cooldown now scales; base damage decreased; cost decreased.
Anivia’s been feeling out of date for a while. Though technically balanced, we thought she could use an update to her playstyle. Since she also lost a bunch of power from preseason changes, we’re using this as an opportunity to fluff and buff her feathers. To make room for these modernization improvements, we’re also cutting some base damage from her R so that she doesn’t fly too close to the sun.
Q – Flash Frost
E – Frostbite
R – Glacial Storm
E bonus movement speed decreased.
Annie has seen strong success with her pick-and-burst potential. As the new season also brought a trove of Annie-friendly toys, we’re toning back some of the movement that helped her run it down.
E – Molten Shield
Passive healing increased. W cooldown decreased.
Gragas was hit hard, especially in a post-preseason jungle with less health to guzzle. Helping him clear camps faster to soften the blow.
Passive – Happy Hour
W – Drunken Rage
Base AD increased. Q cooldown decreased.
Irelia hasn’t really found a home with the Fighter Mythics yet, so we’re specifically tackling the areas that will help her synergize better with existing Mythics and also handing her back some cooldown for her immediate Sheen purchase.
Q – Bladesurge
Q cooldown decreased. E cooldown decreased; shield increased. R basic attack speed increased.
Ivern’s fallen below par and deserves quite a bit of love, especially after the shift to ability haste. To help root him as a stronger jungle pick, we’re giving back some of the extra shielding power he lost from Athene’s, and opening up access to more of his abilities to help both him and his allies survive fights. And we can’t forget about Daisy, can we?
Q – Rootcaller
E – Triggerseed
R – Daisy!
Q cost decreased later; damage ratio increased.
Karthus isn’t performing well in any of his roles, but seems to do a lot better when getting mana out of his Mythic. We’re giving him a small boost, but also expect item optimizations will improve his strength.
Q – Lay Waste
Base magic resist decreased. E passive damage ratio decreased.
Prior to the item rework, we buffed Kayle in preparation so that she’d have better choices in the new system. Those items ended up synergizing really well on her and have resulted in an overperformance in the mid lane. We overall like the item choices she has so we’re not fully reverting the buff we did in 10.23, but are instead targeting other problem areas (her resilience in the midlane and the on-hit damage she gets when combined with Nashor’s Tooth).
E – Starfire Spellblade
Base armor decreased. Q base damage decreased; cooldown increased.
Kayn is one of the few junglers able to fully utilize the new jungle item due to his penchant for strong basic attacking and AoE damage, increasing his overall early clear speed and power. Bringing some of his early clears back in line.
Q – Reaping Slash
Q base damage decreased; deals bonus damage to targets hit with both bolts; removed passthrough falloff damage; deals less damage to minions.
Giving Lulu a higher success rate when hitting both Glitterlance bolts and clearing up confusion around whether her second bolt does any damage. Well, now it does!
Q – Glitterlance
Q isolated enemy damage increased.
Morde became a little worse for wear after losing his Liandry’s + Rylai’s combo, but was at the very least propped up by Riftmaker’s in 10.23. With Riftmaker nerfed in 10.24, we are looking to give some power back to Morde himself so he’s not so reliant on a specific item or item combo.
Q – Obliterate
W DoT decreased later.
Morgana’s DoT is making her too strong in her solo lane, especially as her opponents don’t have the help of another body like in bot.
W – Tormented Shadow
Q cost decreased later; damage increased later. E cost decreased.
Nidalee’s balance state used to be extremely tied to her synergy with Runic Echoes, which was removed in the item rework. She is also running into pretty severe mana issues, due to the fact that her costs were tuned around the item. With all that in mind, we’re shifting some of her power from strong mid-game farming into more champion-focused damage, as the latter is friendlier to all levels of players.
Q – Javelin Toss
E – Primal Surge
Realigning Pantheon to better support the various roles he’s been taking on the Rift.
Pantheon’s last overhaul was aimed at bringing new life to an old top lane mainstay. With time and professional play, his rework shifted gears to mid, and then to support. While we love seeing players innovate and journey with the champion, we can’t ignore the growing sentiment of folks missing the old champion they love, and we think it’s worthwhile to bring Pantheon back to his original home.
With that being said, the intent of these changes isn’t to destroy support Pantheon, but rather to adjust that role’s power, while also giving a boost to the tools that’ll finally let old-school Pantheon fans successfully play him in top, and even mid lane, as promised years ago.
TL;DR, we’re shifting more power into a bruiser-y playstyle by giving him a higher uptime on his Q and equipping him with more selfish outputs like armor penetration at the cost of utility (i.e. strong invulnerability), slows, and most importantly, a massive movement speed boost for when he crashes onto the scene.
Passive – Mortal Will
Q – Comet Spear
W – Shield Vault
E – Aegis Assault
R – Grand Starfall
Passive updated to extend Knock Up duration on already knocked up enemies. Q and R life steal effectiveness decreased. Q crit bugfix.
Samira’s win rate isn’t over the line, but her ban rate certainly is, which indicates an issue with game health. Cutting a frustrating knock up mechanic and the hard synergy she gained with new items.
Passive – Daredevil Impulse
Q – Flair
R – Inferno Trigger
Base health growth increased. W self-shield increased.
Seraphine is currently feeling a lot of weakness against more aggressive opponents (i.e. Zed, Fizz, Akali) in the midlane. So much so that it’s driving players away from playing her there. We’re giving her a little more durability so that she can survive longer and more successfully in 1v1s.
W – Surround Sound
Adjusted Shyvana’s Passive on non-SR game modes like ARAM and Nexus Blitz.
As many Shyvana players know, it’s extremely frustrating to play Shyvana on any other game modes besides those on Summoner’s Rift because Passive only gives her 5 bonus armor and magic resistance On other maps she has no way to fully gain from her passive! Well, we’re changing that.
Passive – Fury of the Dragonborn
Q attack speed increased. W slow increased. R bonus damage increased.
Both AP and AD Twitch are significantly underperforming. Our goals are for both to be viable ways to play him, but to stay true to his original gameplay design, we don’t necessarily want his AP gameplay to be stronger than AD. For now, we’re going to be buffing him in both styles of play, but it is possible that we will need further tuning adjustments as players get used to AP Twitch.
Q – Ambush
W – Venom Cask
R – Spray and Pray
W healing from monsters increased; now deals bonus damage to monsters.
Big cat and the following champs (forgive us for the non-alphabetized order here) came out of the preseason changes sorely missing the old Tiamat, so we’re making adjustments for them. Rengar in particular took a massive clear speed hit, so we’re bringing that back up.
W – Battle Roar
Passive bonus damage increased. Tooltip updated to reflect accuracy.
The loss of both Tiamat and Machete took its toll on Warwick’s clear speed, and his builds are now looking very tank-heavy. Looking to buff that back up and add some more incentive for damage items.
Passive – Eternal Hunger
W return damage increased later.
Talon’s ability to roam is contingent on his ability to clear waves. And his ability to clear waves was too reliant on Tiamat. While his lethality build suffered a lot, he’s starting to move out of assassin items into Goredrinker and Ravenous, so we’re only giving him a small buff for now.
W – Rake
Grouping some individual item changes since most of our item changes this patch can be easily categorized by class. A couple of notes on some specific items though: Muramana has started to see play as the optimal second item for several mage champions. We’re changing its effect to physical damage to incentivize its target audience to pick it up (AD casters, where ya at), while laying the groundwork for potential buffs that won’t encourage more mage poaching. And Seeker’s Armguard was too efficient for its cost, so we’re nudging down its power.
Jungle Starter Items
Certain junglers who get high value out of fast attacks and AoE have been significantly overperforming since preseason began, so we’re paring down the power in clear speeds that were introduced in the new system.
Some cleanup to support items to address some concerns:
- Supports don’t get many items in average games
- Some item build paths were too high cost
- Some items are weaker/stronger than others
- The use of Imperial Mandate in solo lanes-it should still be a viable build, but shouldn’t be optimal
Staff of Flowing Water
Locket of the Iron Solari
Crit Strike Items
Many of our marksman champions are still weak, especially those that rely on their basic attacks to deal damage. To help with this issue, we’re buffing a couple early build Legendaries so that marksman champions can scale up smoothly through midgame to eventually spike hard with Infinity Edge.
Lord Dominik’s Regards
Responding to feedback about champions feeling sluggish with low haste by making a few changes to some of the AP mana Mythics to improve baseline item feels. Liandry’s will still be the ultimate haste option, providing up to 40 haste late game. Ornn’s items will also reflect equivalent adjustments.
Eclipse and Duskblade are both overperforming on ranged champions.
Duskblade of Draktharr
Some more tank systemic nerfs. Slowing down Bami’s power spike, especially for junglers, and pushing Mythic item strengths further apart from each other. Sunfire may be a standout in popularity, but all of them are reaching higher power levels at the moment than desired.
- Font size decreased
- Chat widened
- Fixed some issues with the scrollbar not mapping correctly to the window
- Fixed the 1px misalignment between chat and input that made the game unplayable
- Jungle Guardian now deals less damage, but CCs more often. It also now has a laser that shows who it’s targeting.
- All Nexus Blitz-only items are removed, except The Golden Spatula. Nexus Blitz items match what you’re familiar with on Summoner’s Rift, except without gold generation items or warding items.
- Frogs! Foxes! Environment art updates and features added throughout the map.
- Scuttle’s home in the bottom of the map has been updated to provide more opportunity for strategic vision play
- Entrances into the bases have been widened slightly
- Mentioned already in her section above, but Shyvana has a new passive!
- The Catapult of Champions can no longer be displaced from its location when crashed into by the Battle Sled
- Champions participating in URF Deathmatch do not permanently lose access to abilities after the event is over (i.e. Lulu’s E – Help, Pix!)
- Jungle monsters can no longer be moved and trapped behind the Catapult of Champions through certain champions’ abilities (i.e. Syndra’s W – Force of Will, Blitzcrank’s Q – Rocket Grab
- Champions entering a zombie state (i.e. KogMaw’s Passive – Ichathian Surprise) mid-Catapult-flight will still land at their intended location
- Certain champion abilities (i.e. Tahm Kench’s W – Devour) can no longer temporarily grant death immunity to Loot Goblins
- If a champion enters the Catapult while mid-air through their abilities (i.e. Nidalee’s W – Pounce, Ziggs’ W – Satchel Charge, etc.), they will now properly gain the Catapult effects when they land as if they entered the Catapult normally
- Yone’s E – Soul Unbound properly detonates and deals true damage against DPS Check Target Dummy and Loot Goblins
- Kalista’s R – Fate’s Call can no longer be used on allies in stasis during Prize Fight
- Initial Placement Configuration: The Ranked reset at the start of the season will be smaller this year to get players back to their expected rank faster. To compensate, LP gains and losses have been made slightly smaller.
- Unified Ranked Decay: Diamond now uses the same banked-game decay system as Master+, though with more relaxed tuning.
Master, Grandmaster, Challenger
- Each game played banks 1 day of activity, up to 10
- After 10 days of inactivity, you’ll begin consuming banked days
- Once all banked days have been consumed, you lose 250 LP each day until you fall out of Master
- Each game played banks 7 days of activity, up to 28
- After 28 days of activity, you’ll begin consuming banked days (this initial grace period is skipped if you decayed into Diamond from Master+)
- Once all banked days have been consumed, you lose 50 LP each day until you fall out of Diamond
- LEAGUE CLIENT: “This skin is no longer available for purchase” tooltip no longer appears at the start of Champ Select
- LEAGUE CLIENT: Chat window no longer jumps to the left in Champ Select
- LEAGUE CLIENT: Social Panel – Hovercards once again correctly display a friend’s game type and champion while they are in game
- We’ve standardized the icon that appears next to targets when their resistances have been shredded
- Renekton’s death VO now properly plays in all languages
- Sylas now properly gets credit for attacks landed when using Passive – Petricite Burst
- Yuumi’s W – You and Me! now properly goes on cooldown when she is affected by charms or knock-ups
- The orb that Cosmic Vladimir holds now properly reappears upon revival
- Nami’s W – Ebb and Flow now properly grants allies with movement speed from Passive – Surging Tides
- Attacking a target multiple times as Bard with Meeps from Passive – Traveler’s Call will now properly reapply Imperial Mandate
- Elise’s E – Rappel now properly increases the effects of her Passive – Spider Queen
- Knight’s Vow’s Sacrifice, Immortal Shieldbow’s Lifeline, Night Harvester’s Soulrend, Hextech Rocketbelt’s Supersonic, and Lock of the Iron Solari’s Devotion icons now properly display in the buff bar
- When Jhin equips Guinsoo’s Rageblade and Runaan’s Hurricane, the bolts from his fourth shot will now properly deal normal damage
- Champions’ health bars will now accurately reflect the shield health even after activating Bloodthirster’s Eclipse passive while another shield is active
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to reset the cooldown of another item if you swapped the location of it with a freshly activated Sheen in your inventory
- Abilities which empower a champion’s basic attack will now properly trigger Mana Charge when hitting epic monsters
- Fixed a bug where Kayle’s attack range would unintentionally increase after leveling up her R – Divine Judgement
- Corrected Kalista’s E – Rend AD ratios to their proper values
- Karthus can now properly trigger Horizon Focus with Q – Lay Waste
- Killing a target as Kalista with Q – Pierce will now properly transfer all of the original target’s E – Rend stacks to the next target
- Kalista can no longer proc Electrocute or Phase Rush with two attacks (a basic attack or Q – Pierce, followed by E – Rend). It will now properly proc after 3 separate attacks/abilities.
- Fixed many items’ tooltips to match the actual in-game values in places like Match History, End of Game screen, etc.
- Shen’s W – Spirit’s Refuge no longer blocks all of Katarina’s abilities that have an on-hit element. The spell portion of her damage should still be dealt to Shen.
- All Runaan’s Hurricane bolts now properly apply damage from Ravenous Hydra’s Cleave passive
- Fixed a bug where a player could cast Ashe’s W – Volley while it’s on cooldown if they level up it and cast it at the near same time
- White tiles no longer appear at Zed’s feet while recalling or during his death animation
- Little Legends can now be saved through the Loadout Selector in ARAM, even if its the first game after unlocking the Little Legend