NEW LEGEND: LOBA
Stylish, sophisticated, and resourceful, Loba uses her Jump Drive bracelet to teleport where she pleases and takes what she wants.
Tactical – Burglar’s Best Friend
- Teleport to hard-to-reach places or escape trouble quickly by throwing your Jump Drive bracelet.
Ultimate – Black Market Boutique
- Place a portable device that allows you to teleport nearby loot to your inventory. Each friendly or enemy Legend can take up to two items.
Passive – Eye for Quality
- Nearby epic and Legendary loot can be seen through walls.
- The range is the same as Black Market Boutique.
Learn more about Loba on her Lore page here.
MAP UPDATE: KINGS CANYON
Skulltown and Thunderdome have fallen. A new POI, Salvage, has been added to the Broken Coast. Across the map, the Offshore Rig connects to the former Relay and Wetlands. Wetlands has been replaced by the excavation of the Capacitor, which has a new underground pathway to Singh Labs. Nesting Grounds has continued to regrow into the Reclaimed Forest, which features an expanded Singh Labs exterior and a small camp outside of The Cage. Check out our blog post here for more information on these changes!
Kings Canyon will be the only map available for two weeks after the season launch, so players can have time to fully explore the changes and meta shift. After the two week honeymoon period, Map Rotation will start rotating World’s Edge Season 4 into the mix.
Charge Towers are new devices unearthed in the excavation of Kings Canyon. Activate them to grant a full Ultimate charge to any Legends standing on the platform when the charge blast goes out.
SEASON QUEST: “THE BROKEN GHOST”
Introduces Apex’s first Quest – a season-long search for 9 pieces of a mysterious relic. Find your first daily Treasure Pack in any competitive match to get started on your hunt, and enjoy free weekly drops of new Story, Gameplay, and Rewards along the way. Learn more about Quests in our blog post here.
All seasonal content has been moved into its own tab in the lobby. Here, you can find the Battle Pass, Quest, and Challenges tabs. Future events in this season will show up here as well.
BATTLE PASS S5
Fight your way to glory with the Season 5 Battle Pass. Complete Daily and Weekly challenges to unlock over 100 exclusive items including exclusive Legendary skins, gun charms, skydive emotes, Apex Packs, XP Boosts, load screens, and more.
RANKED SERIES 4
Players that leave a match unexpectedly can now rejoin their match in progress. “Unexpected” means exiting the match through any means other than the system menu, including crashing, using alt+f4 on PC, or “dashboarding” to close the game on console. To reconnect, simply restart the game and enter the lobby. The game will automatically attempt to reconnect you if the match is still valid, your squad is still alive, and your chance to reconnect hasn’t timed out. Reconnect will be available for all competitive modes.
Disconnected players’ characters remain in the state they were in while the player was connected. To their teammates, it will look a bit like the disconnected player has gone afk (with an icon next to their name to indicate disconnection). This means when the player reconnects, they can immediately continue where they left off. Unless, that is, they were killed beforehand. Player characters can be knocked out and eliminated while the player is disconnected. Disconnected players whose characters have died can be respawned normally, by taking their banner to a respawn beacon, before or after the player has reconnected.
If a player doesn’t reconnect in time, the disconnected player’s character is removed as normal, and the game will treat their disconnect as an abandonment. There is a limited time window in which a player can reconnect and failing to do so in Ranked will result in a loss penalty. Loss forgiveness does not activate until a player is fully removed from the game, so don’t drop from a ranked match when your squadmates have a chance to reconnect!
To read more on Series 4 Ranked, Read the blog here.
CONDITIONAL LEGEND CHATTER
Under certain pairings, Legends will speak to each other differently when prompted with normal dialogue cues. How does Loba thank Revenant for a revive? She sure doesn’t say “Thank you.”
There are many pairings if you are interested in hearing what everyone has to say. Experiment!
Now it’s a party! Your favorite trickster has learned a few new tricks to bamboozle his enemies in this new rework for Season 5.
Designer Note: The hope for this rework is that it gives more depth to Mirage gameplay by giving Mirage players avenues to get better at Bamboozling people.
- Tactical: Psyche Out
- Pressing the character utility action button allows Mirage to gain control of his decoy.
- When controlling the decoy, it will mimic Mirage’s every move.
- Decoys now last for 60 seconds.
- Releasing another decoy will remove the previous decoy.
- Ultimate: Life of the Party
- Mirage deploys a team of decoys that mimic his every move (think “Emergency Dance Party” from DUMMIEs Big Day).
- Cooldown 60 seconds.
- Passive: Now You See Me…
- In addition to cloaking when downed, Mirage also cloaks while using a respawn beacon and reviving a teammate (the teammate is also cloaked).
- Mirage’s “You got Bamboozled” line will now trigger when you bamboozle an enemy, instead of when you release a decoy.
- Tactical: Eye of the Allfather
- Increased Sonar Detection from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
- Decreased Cooldown from 35 seconds to 25 seconds.
- Tactical: Drone
- Crypto can now ping banners, while in drone, to warn teammates of nearby squads.
- Increased Lifeline bin ratio to 20%
- Removed Knockdown Shields from Secret Compartment loot pool
Designer note: this is something that is a bit of an experiment. We will be keeping an eye out to make sure this change doesn’t cause any degenerate player behavior.
- Friendly gas no longer slows teammates.
- Caustic traps are no longer triggered from the other side of a door.
Designer note: This is a first step in pushing more team utility for Octane. We have more updates planned but they didn’t make the cutoff for this patch.
- Launch Pad cooldown is reduced from 90 seconds to now 60 seconds.
Designer note: Internal data shows that Gibraltar’s performance in individual fights is in a good place, but we want to bring down his power a bit in team fights.
- Reduced Dome Shield duration from 18s to 12s.
Designer note: Given the power of quick repositioning in Apex, being able to use Pathfinder’s Grappling Hook multiple times in a fight is both too powerful and muddies combat legibility.
- The cooldown for Grappling Hook has been increased from 15 seconds to 35 seconds.
WEAPON AND LOOT UPDATES
Season 5 Fully-kitted Gold Weapons
- Longbow DMR
- The Mastiff is being rotated out of the care package to a regular weapon with its power reduced accordingly.
- Reduced damage per pellet from 18 to 13.
- Reduced headshot multiplier from 2.0 to 1.25.
- Increased blast pattern distances for the outer pairs of pellets.
- Increased blast pattern scale ADS multiplier from 0.5 to 0.55.
- Reduced fire rate from 1.3 to 1.0.
- Reduced projectile size to be more in line with other regular shotguns.
- Increased shell count from 4 to 6.
- Increased projectile speed to standard shotgun speed.
- Peacekeeper is being rotated out of a regular weapon and into the care package weapon with its power being increased accordingly.
- Tightened pellet spread pattern.
- Reduced rechamber time from 1.2 to 0.9.
- Reduced reload times from 2.65 to 2.45 base and 3.6 to 3.35 empty.
- Increased projectile size to improve consistency at close range.
- Increased Mag size from 16 to 19. Level 1 Extended mag is now 22, Level 2 is now 25, and Level 3 is now 27.
- Increased damage from 11 to 12.
- Reduced reload time from 1.74 to 1.5 base and 2.12 to 1.95 empty
- Vertical recoil increased.
- Horizontal recoil slightly increased.
- Recoil on the first 2 shots increased.
- Headshot scale reduced from 2.15 to 2.1.
- Headshot scale reduced from 2.1 to 2.0.
- Adding Skullpiercer Hopup for DMR and Wingman.
DMR w/ Skullpiercer – Headshot scale 2.1 -> 2.5
Wingman w/ Skullpiercer – Headshot scale 2.0 -> 2.25
- Vaulted Anvil Receiver.
- Added Perk: Shield Cells & Syringes give double the amount per use.
- Removed Perk: Removed 50% heal speed.
- Fixed various conditions causing prediction errors.
- Fixed looting in pillboxes being difficult around weapons.
- Fixed aiming speed during zooming lerp to be consistent with hipfire and ADS speed.
- Fixed disabling Melee Target Compensation.
- Fixed Legend banners having a black box when having AA disabled.
- Fixed a condition where the third character model would be missing on screens with three Legend banners.
- Fixed sometimes erroneously pinging enemies while skydiving or in the plane.
- Fixed exploitable spots against Prowlers in Bloodhound Trial.
- Fixed Prowlers not attacking Gibraltar’s Dome Shield.
- Fixed deathboxes sometimes not moving on the train.
- Fixed subtitles in Russian showing up as English in the Bloodhound Trial area.
- Fixed Havoc VFX while on the train.
- Fixed depth of field when selecting charms in the loadout menu.
- Fixed lighting on Legends sometimes being dark throughout the menus.
- Fixed tooltips not appearing correctly when highlighting items in the menus.
- Fixed the Charge Rifle beam shooting from the scope while using the Hard coded skin.
- Fixed melee not doing any damage when interrupting the Sentinel charge animation.
- Fixed Wingman having higher than normal hipfire accuracy while crouched.
- Fixed Golden Barrel attachment having more muzzle flash than intended.
- Stability fixes to reduce crashing and script errors.
- Crypto’s EMP now affects D.U.M.M.I.E. in the Firing Range.
- Fixed Revenant’s Death Totem being visible through smoke or gas.
- Fixed a few Pathfinder banner poses that caused corrupted art.
- Adjusted Octane’s Jump pad to make it harder to fall through cracks when deploying.
- Fixed Caustic’s Ultimate not deploying when thrown under small surfaces.
- Fixed Bangalore’s smoke canisters getting stuck under the Train.
- We’ve overhauled the Deathbox UI to compartmentalize loot better so you can find what you need faster.
- Crypto can now ping banners while in drone to warn teammates of nearby squads.
- Added voice over for pinging enemies who are reviving.
- Favorite option now available for Weapon Skins.
- Observer Highlights for Tournament Matches.
- Removed location based Weekly Challenges. These caused players to have mixed motivations from their squadmates, and didn’t work well with map rotation.
- Optimized CPU usage.
- Improved texture streaming quality on GPUs reporting less memory than advertised.
- We’re excited to announce that at the start of Season 5 we will be adding Apex servers to the Middle East as we look to further support our fans in the region.
We hope you enjoy Season 5 as much we enjoyed creating it! Also be sure to follow our social channels @playapex on Twitter, Instagram, and facebook for the latest updates on the game. If you run into issues, report them here and see what community issues we are tracking with our devtracker.
Say goodbye to Skull Town and Thunderdome and hello to Offshore Rig, plus dozens of other changes large and small.
Hey all! I’m Davis Standley, one of the level designers on Apex Legends. Kings Canyon is undergoing some pretty big changes for Season 5 – Fortune’s Favor, and I wanted to break down some of the decisions that shaped the map update into what it is.
Kings Canyon is a map with lots of history, and we wanted to make a bold change to how it would play in Season 5. In the end, we made way more than one. In Season 5, Kings Canyon is a new beast, forever changed by the actions of Loba and the Syndicate.
SKULL TOWN HAS FALLEN
Our primary goal for Season 5 was to change the map flow. We wanted to create something to be mastered within a map that players knew very well. We’re trying to accomplish this in two ways. The first was sinking Skull Town and Thunderdome. It’s a big change, but we hope that by removing them, other parts of the map will shine. The Broken Coast now stretches from Octane’s Gauntlet all the way to the cliffs leading into Water Treatment.
A new point of interest named Salvage has been added to the Broken Coast. It’s a small industrial rig that sits across from Market, holding the old Leviathan skull above the water. A protected arena with high-tier loot, Salvage is well connected to the surrounding area. There’s also a new two-way zipline balloon, which offers powerful relocation opportunities from Salvage to Gauntlet, giving you the option to traverse the enormous bay.
Off to the side, along the Broken Coast, a remnant of the underground network Loba snuck through looks out over the bay. Forgotten for decades, this station is one of the many secrets hidden under the bloodsoaked topsoil of Kings Canyon…
THE RIG, CAPACITOR’S EXCAVATION
Our second change was to rework the upper east corner of the map. Internally we felt this side of the map often didn’t get nearly as much attention as the desert. We took this chance to add more land mass to the upper corner and expand the playable space. Our goal was to bring more balance to how players flow through the map. From a bird’s eye view, by adding this new space, we’re trying to push the “center” of the map northeastward.
The Offshore Rig is a massive new zone attached to the former Relay and Wetlands areas. It connects to the now-broken Relay, Capacitor, and Swamps. While you may have a longer journey to the circle, you’ll be much better outfitted than a squad who chose a low or mid-tier central map drop zone. Aim for the hanging platform on the north end of the Rig for your chance at the high-tier loot waiting there!
Capacitor is a major hub just inland of the Offshore Rig. While it sits at a lower elevation, Capacitor offers plenty of loot and a ton of rotation opportunities. It adds direct paths from Rig to the central river, a new route into Singh Labs, and a path from the old Relay straight across to the new Reclaimed forest.
We also added a few new camps surrounding the Capacitor excavation site. These camps are a valuable place to catch your breath and re-stock before heading into high traffic areas. During playtesting, we realized that broad open spaces devoid of loot often encourage players to take the straightest path to the map center. Our goal with these is to create more viable routes through the new space. More rotation options means more choice, which we hope encourages deeper map strategy.
Transformed by the excavation, the Shattered Forest from the original Kings Canyon continues to regrow. New roads give Reclaimed Forest much more definition and verticality. We’ve also expanded the exterior of Singh labs to be a viable landing spot on its own. While the changes to Reclaimed Forest are more subtle, our goal is to add more defined routes in order to shape a more understandable flow through the zone.
First discovered during early exploration of the Capacitor, Charge Towers have been repurposed by the Syndicate for the Apex Games.
Charge Towers are a new addition to the Apex Legends sandbox. By interacting with the control panel, you can trigger a blast that restores the ultimate of every player on the Charge Tower platform. This is a powerful tool. Our hope is that they provide new focus points for players, and enable squads to pull off strategies that they couldn’t have attempted before.
Look for the glowing yellow towers spread out over Kings Canyon, and make sure you’re there when the charge goes out!
THERE’S A LOT BURIED HERE
Aside from the big flashy changes, there have been a number of small updates to the map, as well as countless fixes. Some of these things will be easy to spot as you play. Others will take a little more digging, but that’s half the fun if you ask me. I’m looking forward to seeing you all out there on the ground.